About Our Water
The Administrative/Billing Division provides support services for the Water Department, but mainly performs the billing and collection functions for:
- Waste collection
- Sewage treatment (performed by the Bloomington-Normal Water Reclamation District)
The Distribution Division is charged with operating and maintaining more than 180 miles of water mains, reading and maintaining more than 15,000 services and meters, and providing customer service. These activities include:
- Hydrant flushing
- Installation and repair of all water meters
- Installation and repair of services and curb stops
- Meter reading
- Supervision of the installation of new water mains, repair of water mains, valves, and hydrants on a 24/7 basis
- Various customer service activities
The Water Treatment Plant has a design rate of 9.6 million gallons per day. The source of supply for the short term is just under 10 million gallons per day provided by fifteen wells. This is the total combined pumping capacity of all the town’s wells.
Also included in the Treatment Division is the Laboratory, which performs the sampling and testing required by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and provides the quality control and quality assurance testing.
The Treatment Division’s responsibilities include the operation and maintenance of:
Activities of this division include the operation of the Water Treatment Plant on a 24 hour per day, 7 day per week basis as well as the repair and maintenance of: