Town of Normal Parks and Recreation has 27 shelters of various sizes available for use by the public. Nine (9) shelters may currently be reserved, while 18 are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. There are nominal rental fees for reserving a shelter. Rental fees are charged for reservations April 15 through October 15 of each year.
NOTE: Reservations are available the first business day in March each year, and must be made in person at the Parks and Recreation office. Shelters are available 9:00am-9:00pm daily (exceptions may be granted by the Director).
For more information, please reference our Park Shelter Guide (PDF).
Renter Eligibility: You must be 18 years of age or older and be authorized by the applicant/organization (if you are not the applicant), to sign a reservation agreement.
Cancellation: All requests to cancel a shelter reservation must be made in writing. Cancellation requests received 14 or more days from the reservation will be refunded less a $5 processing fee.
Inclement Weather: We rent our picnic shelters "rain or shine". Please be aware that the rental fee for a picnic shelter will not be refunded in the event of inclement weather. Under dire weather circumstances the Department, at its discretion, may permit rescheduling the rental or provide a refund.
Sound Amplification: If you are planning on having amplified sound at your event (microphones, DJ's, loud music, etc.), you must go to the Normal Police Department - 100 East Phoenix Avenue, to obtain a Sound Amplification Permit.
For a comprehensive list of all park shelter policies, please reference the Park Shelter Guide above.
||Weekday Rates (Monday-Thursday)
||Weekend/Holiday Rates (Friday-Sunday, Holidays)
|David S. Anderson East Shelter
Fairview Park Shelter
Ironwood Park Shelter
Maxwell Park Shelter
One Normal Plaza Shelter
Shepard Park Shelter
Underwood Park South Shelter
Underwood Park Brander Shelter*
|*Brander Shelter is currently not available for rental. Parking lot completion date is TBD.
Please adhere to the following rules when utilizing a park shelter (comprehensive list in Park Shelter Guide above):
- Parks open at 6:00am and close at 11:00pm.
- Alcoholic beverages are NOT ALLOWED on park property.
- Fires in grills only.
- Dogs must be leashed. CLEAN UP AFTER PETS!
- Motorized vehicles are not allowed on park property, other than designated roadways and parking lots. Vehicles are not allowed to be parked on the grass or driven on the grass to unload equipment.
- Renters may not charge for admittance to events. Renters may not solicit services or sell food, merchandise, or goods on Town of Normal property without prior written approval from the Parks and Recreation Director.
- All decorations must be cleaned up after the rental. No stapling or taping of decorations or tablecloths.
- Inflatable games/toys must be commercial grade from an approved vendor (insurance must be provided). Homeowner or individual/personal owned inflatables are not allowed on Park property.
- Electrical service is limited in pavilions. The Parks and Recreation Department is not responsible for providing power for inflatables or for tripped breakers.