The mission of the Information Technology Department is to provide secure, stable, operational and responsive information and communication systems for the Town of Normal. With the combination of current IT infrastructure and GIS capabilities, it is our goal to streamline internal and external services in a manner that will improve organizational efficiency and service delivery to the public.
The IT Department functions primarily as an internal service department for the Organization by enabling departments and employees to deliver service to the public efficiently and effectively through:
- Advanced, integrated and cost-effective technology solutions, including enhanced mobility.
- A robust, scalable, secure and reliable network environment.
- Pervasive, easy-to-use access to information.
- Strategic planning, project management and user training.
- Modern and integrated communications services.
- Responsive, responsible and respectful customer service.
The Department also provides all administration, development, and maintenance of the Town’s Geographic Information System (GIS), including:
- The Town’s Land File.
- Digital infrastructure data files.
- Applications that allow access and data sharing between Town departments.
- The tools within the GIS software to analyze datasets for asset management, future planning, and mapping projects.
FY 2018-19 Department Priorities
- Implement network/storage upgrade project.
- Upgrade security cameras and systems.
- Move on-premise general government software to its web-based platform to reduce costs and enhance system security.
- Implement new land management software to increase operational efficiencies and to improve customer service.
- Develop and implement comprehensive cybersecurity policy and procedures.
- Continue to support implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, including
- Public WiFi expansion
- Acceleration of the smart meter replacement project
- CIRBN network expansion